Home / DIY / Food and Recipes / Homemade Elderberry Syrup Recipe
Homemade Elderberry Syrup Recipe
Published on June 14th 2015 by Sean Nelson under DIY,Food and Recipes
Elderberry syrup is one of the best and simplest remedies to cough, colds and the flu. Not just that, it can even be used on anything to enhance taste, like on ice cream, waffles, or pancakes. We share with you a great recipe for this effective medicinal fruit (though you may also try with raspberries, blueberries, or, blackberries for other different kinds of flavors). See how it works…..
Basic DIY Organic Elderberry Syrup
- Fresh elderberries (red, blue or black) – 1 cup
- Raw honey – 1 cup
- Fresh lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon stick (optional) – 1
- Whole star anise (optional) – 1
- Whole cloves (optional) – 3
- Minced ginger root (optional) – 1 tsp
- Vodka or Brandy (for alcohol, but optional) – 1 tsp
- Water – 3 cups
How to make
- Take a saucepan and pour the water. Now transfer the elderberries, cinnamon stick, cloves and ginger into this.
- Put the saucepan on the burner flame and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Now reduce the heat and simmer it for 30 more minutes.
- To mash the berries, use a potato smasher for releasing the juice. Next, use a sieve to strain the mixture. Discard the pulp.
- As the juice cools, mix honey and stir well until it mixes thoroughly.
- When done, transfer the mixture to a jar and close the lid tightly.
- This can be stored for about 2-3 months if refrigerated.
- If you want it without honey, you can substitute simple (sugar) syrup or agave nectar for honey.
- You can also use ½ cup of dry elderberries in place of the fresh berries.
- Exclude the alcohol part, if you are making it for your baby.
- A nice addition to the recipe is ½ cup apple cider vinegar.
Video: How to make Elderberry Syrup
DIY: Healthy Homemade Cat Food Recipes Give occasional treats to your loving pet cat with the best nutritious homemade dishes, rather ...
9 Best Homemade Natural Mouthwash Recipes Smile more; talk more to your friends confidently trying these mouthwash recipes! Bad breath is ...
How to make Homemade Hair Pomade Applying pomades right after a bath can prevent your hair from becoming dry and frizzy. ...
Homemade Tooth Powder Prepare your own tooth powder at home for healthy gums and teeth. The recipes given ...
How to make Wool Dryer Balls As the name suggests, wool dryer balls serve the same purpose as plastic PVC or ...
Leave a Reply