Homemade Elderberry Syrup Recipe
Elderberry syrup is one of the best and simplest remedies to cough, colds and the flu. Not just that, it can even be used on anything to enhance taste, like on ice cream, waffles, or pancakes. We share with you a great recipe for this effective medicinal fruit (though you may also try with raspberries, blueberries, or, blackberries for other different kinds of flavors). See how it works…..
Basic DIY Organic Elderberry Syrup
- Fresh elderberries (red, blue or black) – 1 cup
- Raw honey – 1 cup
- Fresh lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon stick (optional) – 1
- Whole star anise (optional) – 1
- Whole cloves (optional) – 3
- Minced ginger root (optional) – 1 tsp
- Vodka or Brandy (for alcohol, but optional) – 1 tsp
- Water – 3 cups
How to make
- Take a saucepan and pour the water. Now transfer the elderberries, cinnamon stick, cloves and ginger into this.
- Put the saucepan on the burner flame and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Now reduce the heat and simmer it for 30 more minutes.
- To mash the berries, use a potato smasher for releasing the juice. Next, use a sieve to strain the mixture. Discard the pulp.
- As the juice cools, mix honey and stir well until it mixes thoroughly.
- When done, transfer the mixture to a jar and close the lid tightly.
- This can be stored for about 2-3 months if refrigerated.
- If you want it without honey, you can substitute simple (sugar) syrup or agave nectar for honey.
- You can also use ½ cup of dry elderberries in place of the fresh berries.
- Exclude the alcohol part, if you are making it for your baby.
- A nice addition to the recipe is ½ cup apple cider vinegar.