How to Make DIY Beeswax Candles
Published on May 23rd 2015 by Sean Nelson under DIY
It’s time to try out your creativity. Here are a couple of easy step-by-step interesting recipes for homemade beeswax candles, right from scratch. Completely natural, non-toxic, and devoid of chemicals, just to take you one step further to support our planet’s green revolution. Try them out with your kids, and see how much you enjoy!
Homemade Non-toxic Beeswax Candles (scented)
- Organic raw beeswax – 1 pound
- Coconut oil – 1 cup
- Essential oil (of your choice, like vanilla, rose, jasmine, eucalyptus, tea tree, lavender etc.) – 5-7 drops
- Food color (of your choice) – 5-6 drops (optional)
- Double boiler
- Cotton wicks (medium size)
- Mason jars (8 oz)
- Knife ¾
How to make
- First of all, if your chunk of beeswax is big, heat up the knife in boiling water and cut through the wax to make small pieces. This is to ease up the process of melting. Now melt the beeswax and the coconut oil together in the double boiler.
- When the wax and the oil have completely melted, add the essential oil and the food color in the liquid wax. Once again heat up your knife and stir the liquid to ensure uniform mixing of the essential oil.
- Next, take the wicks and wrap one end tightly around the pen or pencil and hang them straight inside the jars. However, at this step, do not remove the wax mixture from heat, until your prepare the wicks.
- Now, start pouring the melted wax ¼th-way up the jars. Allow the wicks to set for 5-7 minutes. In the meantime, return the melted wax bowl back to the hot boiler so that the wax doesn’t solidify.
- Finally, fill the remaining ¾th parts of the jars with the remaining hot beeswax mixture. The best is if you could wait for two days before beginning to use your beeswax candles.
- If you want to repel mosquitoes, bugs, and flies, using the essential oil of eucalyptus and citronella are recommended. Similarly, if you want your candle to lull you to sleep, use lavender, since the scent of lavender has the property of inducing sleepiness.
- You can easily omit the essential-oil step if you do not really want scented candles.
- Scented candles are widely used in aromatherapy, and hence, you can easily utilize them for the purpose.
- As variations, you can use your creativity, e.g. small tarts, decorative or pillar molds or teacups in place of jars, or for those spice-scented candles you can try clove or cinnamon oil.
- If you make tart candles, you can use them as floating candles.
Hand-rolled Beeswax Candle Sticks Recipe
- Natural beeswax – 1 sheet (8”W x 16.5”L)
- Candle wick – 2 (metal free) (1/8th″D x 4 ½″L)
- Self-healing cutting mat
- Initially, cut the beeswax sheet in two equal halves of 4″W x 16½″L. Now, take the wick and place it straight along the end of one of the sheets and fold the wax over the wick and begin to roll.
- As you roll, keep pressing the top layer gently onto the bottom so as to make sure that all the layers bind well.
- At the same time, keep an eye to ensure that you are rolling the sheet evenly enough to make the bottom flat. If it is not, you can gently press the bottom on the table to flatten it and carry on with your rolling.
- When done, attach the candle in a candle-stand and your candle is ready to be lit up!
You cannot use a regular string in place of candle wicks.
You can easily make birthday candles in the same way by cutting the sheets smaller in your desired sizes.
Video: Making DIY Beeswax Candles
DIY: Healthy Homemade Cat Food Recipes Give occasional treats to your loving pet cat with the best nutritious homemade dishes, rather ...
9 Best Homemade Natural Mouthwash Recipes Smile more; talk more to your friends confidently trying these mouthwash recipes! Bad breath is ...
How to make Homemade Hair Pomade Applying pomades right after a bath can prevent your hair from becoming dry and frizzy. ...
Homemade Tooth Powder Prepare your own tooth powder at home for healthy gums and teeth. The recipes given ...
How to make Wool Dryer Balls As the name suggests, wool dryer balls serve the same purpose as plastic PVC or ...
Leave a Reply