Homemade Face Moisturizer
Published on June 1st 2015 by Madhulima Acharya under DIY
The key to a radiant, glowing skin is a good moisturizer. But, the commercial ones can be harsh to your delicate skin. On the other hand, preparing your own face moisturizer at home with all the goodness of natural ingredients packed in has loads of skin rejuvenating effects. It is recommended that you apply a little bit of each of the ingredients enlisted here to your skin before going the whole hog. That saves you from breaking out in case you are allergic to any of the components.
How to Make Face Moisturizing Lotion for Dry Skin
Whipped Coconut Oil Skin Care Moisturizer for the Face
Whipping up coconut oil makes its texture frothy and feels less greasy on skin. Also, it hardens much less in the colder months.
- Solid Coconut oil – 2 cups
- Hand mixer or stand mixer
- Put the coconut oil in a mixing bowl.
- Break it into small chunks.
- Turn on the mixer to high for a few minutes. You will know that the process is done when the texture and appearance of the oil resemble that of whipped cream or whipped butter.
- Store the soft and fluffy lotion in a mason jar or any other container, ready to be used.
Coconut Oil Moisturizer as Severe Face Dryness Remedy
- Liquid coconut oil- ¼ cup
- Sweet almond oil- ½ cup
- Beeswax- ¼ cup
- Shea butter- 2 tbsp
- Vitamin E oil- 1 tsp
- Essential oil (optional)- 12 drops
- Add all the ingredients in a large jar and mix them thoroughly with a spatula.
- Heat some water in a saucepan and place the jar on it.
- Once all the solid ingredients have melted, pour the mixture into a storage jar.
- Close the jar after its contents completely solidify.
The moisturizer works well for eczema, psoriasis and stretch marks.
- Use it within six months for optimal moisturizing effects.
- Sweet almond oil can be replaced with olive oil in case you are allergic to nuts.
- You can use cocoa butter instead of shea butter if you like the former for its pleasant odor.
Whipped Shea Butter Face Moisturizing Cream for Winter
Unrefined shea butter is desirable for making creams. However, in such a state, you will find it too rigid and inconvenient to be applied over a large area. The solution? Whipping it up!
- Unrefined shea butter – 4 oz.
- Extra virgin olive oil – 2 tbsp.
- Essential oils (optional) – 10-20 drops
- Mixer with electric whisk
- Let the shea butter come to room temperature. Do not heat or melt it. Put it in the bowl and mash it using a fork.
- Add the olive oil and mash some more.
- Let the mixer work on it at high speed for approximately 5 minutes.
- If you choose to use essential oils, let it blend with the whipped cream for a few minutes.
- Pour the concoction into a jar and store in a cool, dry place.
Organic Water-Based Face Moisturizer with Essential Oils
- Vegetable glycerin- 1 tbsp
- Aloe vera juice- 4 tbsp
- Sweet almond oil- ¼ tbsp
- Jojoba oil- 6 drops
- Essential oils- 5 drops
- Wire whisk
- Mix all the ingredients thoroughly in a glass bowl to form a uniform concoction. You can add the ingredients one by one and whisk them every single time to have a smooth blend.
- Pour the mixture into a jar and store in a cool, dry place or refrigerate for use within four months.
The moisturizer is specifically suited for acne prone skin.
- Choose an essential oil that suits your skin type. While rose and lavender oils are good for normal skin, citrus-based oils like lemon and orange work for oily skin. Use rosewood or cedarwood if you need to hydrate dry skin.
DIY Oil-Free Facial Moisturizers for All Skin Types
Avocado to Moisturize Face
- Honey- 1 tsp
- Avocado- 1
- Lemon juice- 1 tbsp
- Curd- ½ cup
- Cut the avocado into small pieces and put them into the mixer. Ensure that the pit is removed.
- Combine the mashed avocado, honey, lemon juice, and curd in a glass bowl and mix them nicely.
- Place the mixture in the refrigerator for 30 minutes and use it on your face.
- Keep in on for 30 minutes before rinsing off.
Yogurt Face Moisturizer for Glowing Skin
- Yogurt- 1 cup
- Old-fashioned oatmeal- 2 tbsp
- Lemon juice- 10 drops
- Honey- 1 tbsp
- Pour the honey into a small bowl and microwave for 10 seconds.
- Mix the warm honey and all the other ingredients in a medium bowl and stir the mixture until thoroughly blended.
- Dab it on your face and neck and leave it on for 15 minutes until it dries.
- Rinse off with warm water. Use a sponge or washcloth to remove it from sensitive areas like that around your eyes.
Natural Face Moisturizer with Aloe Vera Gel for Oily Skin Treatment
- Aloe vera gel- 3 tbsp
- Wheat or hazelnut oil – 1 tbsp
- Mix the two ingredients nicely in a large bowl until a thick gel is formed.
- Pour the mixture into a glass container and store it in a cool, dry place.
- Substituting any of the oils mentioned above with grape-seed oil shows promising results on acne in a couple of weeks.
Make Face Moisturizer with SPF At Home
Get rid of the harmful effects of sun on your face by using green tea in your DIY.
- Coconut oil – 1 cup
- Loose green tea – 2 tbsp
- Double boiler
- Electric mixer
- Put the double boiler on medium heat for melting the oil.
- Stir the green tea in.
- Cover and simmer on the lowest heat setting for an hour.
- Use the cheesecloth to strain the tea from the oil.
- Let it cool until it solidifies.
- Whip up the concoction for 3-5 minutes until it gets creamy.
Naturally Tinted Face Moisturizer for Makeup
- Argan oil or jojoba oil – 2 tsp
- Shea butter – 1tsp
- Vegetable-based emulsifying wax – ½ tsp
- Aloe vera gel – 1 tbsp
- Witch hazel – 1 tsp
- Mica powder in colors of your choice – ½ tsp
- Cocoa powder – ½ tsp
- Double boiler
- Wire whisk
- Heat the argan oil, shea butter and emulsifying wax in the double boiler until the mixture melts completely.
- Add the witch hazel and aloe and whisk until they get uniformly incorporated to form a smooth texture.
- Turn off the heat.
- Start adding the powders. You can try a little bit of each color on your inner arm before mixing them up slowly to get the shade of your choice.
- Store in an air-tight container. It will last for about a month.
- Mica powder has a bit of a So, those who do not want a shiny face can give it a miss and stick to cocoa for a matt finish.
DIY facial moisturizers leave you skin soft and supple. You will want to take a look at the mirror again and again to admire the goodness of the natural moisturizers made by you. It is the time to say goodbye to expensive skin moisturizing products laden with chemicals as the best homemade face moisturizer recipes are at your fingertips.
Leave a Reply