How to make Homemade Vapor Rub
Quit using the vapor rubs available in the medicine stores and markets that are expensive and full of chemicals. Vapor rubs are actually effective and can heal your congestions or cough and cold, if you can use them correctly. Try making your own natural vapor rub and customize according to your needs. Here are a few of the best homemade vapor rub recipes exclusively for our dear readers:
All-natural Vapor Rub Recipe
- Coconut oil, or almond oil, or olive oil – ½ cup
- Eucalyptus Oil – 18-20 drops
- Peppermint Oil – 18-20 drops
- Tea Tree Oil – 8-10 drops
- Beeswax Pastilles – 2 level tbsp
- Cinnamon or clove oil (optional) – 8-10 drops
How to make
Melt beeswax in a double boiler along with any of the oils. The moment it melts completely, add the essential oils. Stir thoroughly to mix evenly and you are done. Now store this in a container with a tight lid. Use this to get rid of congestion and cough.
Alternative: For older children
- Simply halve the amount of the essential oils. Alternately, you can also dilute it with coconut oil before you apply it on your baby.
- To be on the safe side, you can also make it the herbal way. For that, do not use the essential oils, but just some herbs. Just infuse the oil with 1 tbsp of the herbs in the double boiler. Use medium heat. This alternative recipe takes 2 hours.
Simple DIY Vegan Vapor Rub (without beeswax)
- Extra virgin oil – 1/8th cup (2 tbsp)
- Camphor – ½ a pinch
- Essential oil – Total of 10-12 drops (mixture of eucalyptus and peppermint)
This recipe will make a liquid vapor rub. Pour the oil into a container or bowl. Add the camphor and mix evenly with your fingertip. Now, start adding the essential oils drop by drop, until it reaches the strength that you desire.
- For essential oil for children, use Eucaylptus Radiata or Eucaplytus
Vicks Vapor Rub Alternative I (for adults)
- Petroleum jelly (Vaseline or other brands) – ¼ cup (unscented)
- Eucalyptus essential oil – 10 drops
- Peppermint oil – 10 drops
- Campho-Phenique ointment or liquid (which is camphor) – 1/8th tsp
Put the petroleum jelly in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave it for 30 seconds. Stir it and heat it again for another 30 seconds. Continue this, until completely melted.
Now add the two essential oils and the Campho-Phenique until they mix well. Transfer the mixture into another container and cover with a lid. Wait until it cools and is ready to be used.
Vicks Vapor Rub Alternative II (for babies and children)
- Beeswax (grated) – 4 tsp
- Cocoa/Shea/Mango butter – 3 tbsp
- High-quality essential oils (a total of 30 drops) – 10 drops eucalyptus smithii, 10 drops tea tree, 5 drops lavender, 5 drops chamomile
- Essential oils – Total of 30 drops (should be of high quality, with 10 drops eucalyptus smithii, 10 drops tea tree, 5 drops lavender, and 5 drops chamomile)
- Coconut oil – 7-8 tbsp
How to make
Put the beeswax in the double boiler pan and add the butter. Now melt both these ingredients together. Once melted completely, remove from the fire and add the coconut oil along with the essential oils. Mix well, and transfer to a clean glass container. Fit the lid tightly. This rub would stay at room temperature for up to a year.
- Essential oils are very potent, and each essential oil has its own The essential oils of lavender and chamomile are safe for infants under two months.
- Babies above the ages of 2 months and 6 months are comfortable with the eucalyptus and the tea tree oils, respectively. In that case, you might want to replace these ingredients by increasing the quantities of the other two essential oils.
Video: How to make DIY Vapor Rub at home
- If you want your vapor rub’s consistency thicker, you can add more beeswax or vice versa.
Use your creativity. Try and find out what smells work best for you or your needs. Accordingly, try discovering a great combination.